The Reno Gem and Mineral Society, Inc.
Join us at one of our monthly membership meetings to see what we’re all about! Then, if you would like to join us, membership applications are available at the meeting.
RGMS Monthly Membership Meetings
- When: The first Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m.
- Where: In the meeting room on the 2nd floor of Baldini’s Casino 865 South Rock Boulevard, Sparks, Nevada on the corner of Glendale and Rock Blvd.
- Meetings are open to the general public. The program includes a short member business portion, usually followed by an educational presentation which relates to some aspect of the hobby or a related subject. This is a non-smoking meeting.
Annual Membership Dues
- $35 for an individual
- $25 for a student with official student ID
- $50 for a family (household). Children, accompanied by their member parents, are invited and encouraged to participate in all of our regularly scheduled activities.
- Memberships are valid for a calendar year, January 1 to December 31.
- The RGMS facility is where most, but not all, of the Society’s activities take place, and is located at 480 South Rock Boulevard, Sparks, NV 89431.
- Classes are held at the RGMS facility.
- For insurance purposes, new members must be approved by the Board of Directors prior to registering for classes.
- Depending on the availability of experienced volunteer instructors, classes are offered in lapidary, silver fabrication, casting, carving, beading, wire wrap jewelry and more.
Workshop Open House
- Additional time for qualified members to independently work their material is made available during a weekly open house in our well-equipped workshop in the RGMS facility.
- Field trips, for the purpose of learning the location and identification of various materials, are normally scheduled at least once a month, except in the winter.
- They can be one day or a longer overnight camping trip.
- All RGMS activities are perfect opportunities to socialize and get to know each other. Other than those listed above, the Society also plans a summer picnic, potluck suppers, a Christmas party, spring and fall craft fairs, and a used tool and craft supply sale.
Jackpot of Gems
The Reno Gem & Mineral Society holds an annual Jackpot of Gems show. Members, and others, are encouraged to exhibit the materials they have made and/or collected.
- The Society is a member of the California Federation of Mineralogical Societies and exhibitors are encouraged to enter their displays in competition under the CFMS rules.
- There are also dealers selling items such as jewelry, polished and faceted stones, jewelry findings, tools and minerals.
- Society members cannot be dealers at the Jackpot of Gems, however, the RGMS holds spring and fall craft fairs so members can sell their hobby items.