- Prospective members are asked to attend a monthly Reno Gem and Mineral Society (RGMS) general membership meeting to meet and talk with our members.
- Membership applications are available at the monthly meeting.
RGMS Monthly Membership Meetings
- When: The first Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m.
- Where: In the meeting room on the 2nd floor of Baldini’s Casino 865 South Rock Boulevard, Sparks, Nevada on the corner of Glendale and Rock Blvd.
- Meetings are open to the general public. The program includes a short member business portion, usually followed by an educational presentation which relates to some aspect of the hobby or a related subject. This is a non-smoking meeting.
Annual Membership Dues
- $35 for an individual
- $25 for a student with official student ID
- $50 for a family (household). Children, accompanied by their member parents, are invited and encouraged to participate in all of our regularly scheduled activities.
- Memberships are valid for a calendar year, January 1 to December 31.
- The RGMS facility is where most, but not all, of the Society’s activities take place. RGMS Facility, 480 South Rock Boulevard, Sparks, NV 89431
- Field trips, for the purpose of learning the location and identification of various materials, are normally scheduled at least once a month, except in the winter.
- They can be one day or a longer overnight camping trip.
- Classes are held in the RGMS facility workshop.
- For insurance purposes, new members must be approved by the Board of Directors prior to registering for classes.
- Depending on the availability of experienced volunteer instructors, classes are offered in lapidary, silver fabrication, casting, carving, beading, wire wrap jewelry and more.
Workshop Open House
- Additional time for qualified members to independently work their material is made available during a weekly open house in our well-equipped workshop in the RGMS facility.
Jackpot of Gems Show
- RGMS holds an annual Jackpot of Gems show. Members, and others, are encouraged to exhibit the materials they have made and/or collected.
- The Society is a member of the California Federation of Mineralogical Societies and exhibitors are encouraged to enter their displays in competition under the CFMS rules.
- There are also dealers selling items such as jewelry, polished and faceted stones, jewelry findings, tools and minerals.
- Society members cannot be dealers at the Jackpot of Gems, however, the RGMS holds a spring and fall craft fair so members can sell their hobby items.
- All RGMS activities are perfect opportunities to socialize and get to know each other. Other than those listed above, the Society also plans a summer picnic, potluck suppers, a Christmas party, spring and fall craft fairs, and a used tool and craft supply sale.